Thursday, December 03, 2009

And Now the News: Rooting for the Squid

Pirates 4 Update: Director



Concerns that Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides may not be happening - because of the departure of the Disney chairman who originally brought Johnny Depp on board the franchise - seem to be unfounded. Rob Marshall (Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha) has been signed as director and says that he and Depp are excited to be working on it together.

20,ooo Leagues Movie Update: Sunk



McG's Captain Nemo origin movie, on the other hand, appears to have been pulled to the bottom of the sea by a giant squid. And based on McG's thinking that Will Smith would make an awesome Captain Nemo, I think I'm on the squid's side this time.

Lest anyone get too excited by the art above, it's not concept art from the McG movie. It's by Meinert Hansen as part of an unrelated project.

Iron Stan



Fear not, True Believers! Stan Lee will be back for Iron Man 2.

Also, Thor!



Excelsior!

Underworld 4 Update: Writer



No one knows nuthin beyond that a writer's been hired and he's written a couple of episodes of The Shield, but at least it's in the works.

2 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Holy crap your headline scared me there for a second. I thought they had gotten to you with their mind probe technology but as usual you were just protecting the franchise and the things we love. Sorry for doubting you. Will can play the spunky escaped former slave in any new 20,000 Leagues movie but Nemo is to important a role to be made into a star vehicle. I am one of the few who LOVED 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' - the image of an Indian pirate is forever now my image of a steampunk influenced, sword weilding, butt kicking Nemo -"I walk a different path". still gives me chills. Love that art work though. Those underwater suits are fabulous.

Michael May said...

I may disagree with you about LXG ovreall, but not about Nemo. He was one of the few parts I thought the movie got right.

And don't worry, I've always got my speargun ready to take on those tentacled bastiches. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails