Friday, August 28, 2009

September Theatrical Releases: What Looks Good



September 4

Gamer: I can't say that I'm super excited about this, but I do like that Gerard Butler guy and I'm always up for seeing him kick some booty. The being-controlled-by-a-kid bit will either be interesting or corny, but there's only one way to find out which.

Extract: I didn't like Office Space as much as most people I know, but I did like it and Jason Bateman's always funny and JK Simmons is always freaking hilarious and - hey! Mila Kunis!

September 9

9: I know some perfectly sane, otherwise intelligent people who not only aren't looking forward to this movie, but actually are kind of ticked off that it even exists. They claim that it's some sort of dislike for Tim Burton. My theory is that they've been replaced by aliens who loathe all things awesome.

September 18

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: I don't remember having ever read the book that this is based on, but the trailer looks cute enough. The real reason I want to see it though is to imagine myself in a world where school-sized pancakes exist.

September 23

Astro Boy: I understand some die-hard fans are upset over changes that the movie's making. I've never seen an episode of the original cartoon, so I don't know anything about that. All I know is that it's a good-looking movie about a boy robot fighting a cool-looking, giant robot. Assuming it doesn't suck on it's own merits, I can't imagine not following it up by checking out the original on Netflix.

September 25

Surrogates: I loved the comics mini-series this is based on. Just a smart, thrilling sci-fi story and it looks like they're doing it justice in the film.

Whiteout: The other movie coming out this week based on a favorite comic of mine. Know what's better than a murder mystery set in Antarctica? Kate Beckinsale's solving a murder mystery set in Antarctica.

Pandorum: Nothing about the trailer looks very original, but I like all the stuff they seem to be borrowing from. And Antje Traue looks pretty cool in a Ripley-esque/Alice from Resident Evil sort of way. I'm up for it.

Dishonorable Mention: How can a movie with Sandra Bullock, Bradley Cooper, and Thomas Haden Church - three people whom I love - look so horrifyingly unfunny? You don't have to answer that. The answer is that it turns Bullock into a creepy stalker and Cooper into a lying jerk who's too passive-aggressive to tell her she's getting on his nerves.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails