Sunday, July 20, 2008

Awesome List: Indy stuff, Next Men, super hero cartoons, and more.

"And you're a crazy, flying fool!"

I wish I was a member of the Aviator's Club that Link Thorne belongs to. Their cigarette girls are Awesome.



Custom-made Indiana Jones DVD case



I wish there was a picture of it open, but even so... holy mackerel that's cool.

Indy Voodoo doll


As long as I'm wishing, I wish this was a replica and not the actual prop from the movie. Then I might be able to afford it.

John Byrne's Compleat Next Men

IDW is collecting the entire series of John Byrne's Next Men, including the 2110 prequel one-shot and a bunch of extras. I hope it does well and attracts a lot of new readers because Byrne is not-quite-promising that he'll continue the story if the collections do well.

Joanna asks if that kind of promise is a sort of blackmail and sums it up as, "Buy my old unfinished series — and if enough of you do, maybe I’ll finish it." I don't think it's quite as nefarious as that. Next Men works beautifully well just like it is. It doesn't need to be finished to get a complete story.

But, as someone who really loved the series - it's the best thought-out time travel story I've ever read, and it features the first appearance of Hellboy (pre-dating even "Seed of Destruction") - I'd love to see more of it. I interpret Byrne's statement as wishing-out-loud, not blackmail. Buy it because it's good; not because Byrne may or may not make a sequel if you do.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

...is live.

Haven't seen The Dark Knight yet

Would've fought the midnight crowds if the movie was going to be more like this...



Actually, I'm getting more and more excited about it. Or maybe "curious" is a better adjective. Looking forward to Thursday when I'll finally be able to see it.

Spectacular Spider-Man: Attack of the Lizard

Now this I'm looking forward to. My son is going to freak.

Cartoon Network Saturday nights

Cartoon Network announced its Saturday evening programming block that will include the Clone Wars cartoon, Ben 10, and "a new animated incarnation of Batman." Presumably the Brave and the Bold series that'll team him up with different superheroes each week.

Hallmark's Nerdaments



Hallmark has unveiled its line-up of nerd-themed ornaments for the year. Topless Robot - as always - has the right perspective on it in their post title.

4 comments:

Jason Copland said...

Sadly, Byrne is not what he used to be, as a creator. I have a feeling any sequel will not live up to the first series nor up to the expectation of its sequel.

Anonymous said...

I also sat out The Dark Knight this weekend, which probably makes us the only two. LOL

I'm excited to see Batman enjoying so much success. I'm just not sure *this* is the Batman incarnation I want to see regarded as the best.

I mean, just look at that photo you supplied. I don't think people really understand how great Cesar Romero's Joker was. Come on, the man wore facepaint over his mustache! I love it.

The internet also seems to have given birth to a disturbing trend, where only ONE version of something can be considered good. Too many fans now act as though to enjoy whatever's new, you have to renounce everything that's old.

But if I like The Dark Knight, why do I have to put down the 1989 version or the tv series? For that matter, why do we have to suddenly downplay all superhero films such as Superman 1 and 2 or the Spiderman series?

Worse, many fans even want us to forget everything that has come before this summer. But why can't we like Iron Man, Indy 4, AND Dark Knight? No one thought this way back in 1989- when it was perfectly acceptable to enjoy Indy 3, Lethal Weapon 2, Batman, etc.

Anyway, here's a review of that Indiana Jones dvd case- complete with pics. If the price drops enough, I may have to pick one up.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_052308a.htm

Michael May said...

Jason: I think Byrne CAN do that kind of work still, but I agree that he doesn't always anymore. Hopefully he'd be passionate enough about Next Men that he'd give it his best effort.

Michael May said...

Anonymous: First of all, thanks so much for that link. I stumbled across the one I posted and didn't really know what it was. $50 is way too much for that, but I imagine it'll be on sale on Blockbuster's clearance tables by the end of the summer.

And excellent point about being able to enjoy different versions of the same thing. You wouldn't think that would be such a problem in a post-modern society, but folks certainly do still love their absolutes, don't they?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails